Monday, April 29, 2013

The Common Thread




When I began watching the Jodi Arias murder trial, I did something I don't normally do. I found myself glued to audio streams on my iPhone and coverage on HLN on my TV non-stop. I rarely get "committed" to too much of anything on TV except for 'Modern Family'. I have a personal connection to the show as I know the creator and director of the show and am old friends with his wife, so I like to watch his show week after week. I have four unwatched episodes of 'Mad Men' on my DVR because quite frankly I don't have the time with three kids who are seven, six, and one. They take up my time and I consider TV a rare pleasure other than my 30 minutes on Wednesday nights.

iPhone streams make it very easy to stay glued to the case. Let's face it. A 1-year-old doesn't understand the terminology and I keep it at a volume that is not easily heard by her. I do not watch or listen when the older kids are home because I don't want them to accidentally see or hear something that is inappropriate for their young eyes and ears. I found a Facebook page to keep me updated with the times I am unable to watch.

On the Justice4Travis Facebook page, I have made some unlikely friends. On Facebook, I typically pop off and on throughout the day to see what my friends are up to. I post a lot of photos of my kids and share the occasional funny joke or photo. What I found was over 41,000 people who felt the same way I did. It amazed me.

How could so many people, (and many, many more who are not a part of this page), find a common thread in a murdered man and a crazy woman. I quickly realized Jodi, unfortunately, is the reason we all know Travis's name. Had she not murdered him in cold blood, we would probably never know Travis Alexander's name.  While I wish this was the case and he was still alive, we all know why we're here. We all want to see her pay for the cruel way she took him from this earth. But, most importantly, I think we all see something in Travis that is appealing and familiar.

We all know that one person who, no matter the circumstances, is fun to be around. You love being around them because you know that a fun time will always be had. He was a world changer with his charm and wise beyond his years lectures. He was nice looking. He was probably the guy who would crawl out of bed at 4AM to help you change your flat tire. He would probably take the shirt off of his back for a friend or a stranger. We find something very familiar about Travis even though 99% of us on that page never had the privilege to know him. His untimely death caused a stir in us. Maybe it's knowing how Travis's family and friends have told us about the real Travis and not the imagined version of Travis that Jodi and the defense has attempted to portray. We've seen a dead man essentially killed twice since the start of the trial with zero evidence that any of the claims were even remotely true.

We hurt for his family. We've seen them bury their heads and wipe away their tears as they see the last photo of their brother alive and as they've had to see photos of their brother after he had been brutally murdered. They hear things they know aren't true but can't stand up and protest. They are the essence of class and poise. I think all 41,000 of us would love to give each of them a big hug and tell them that for some reason we can't explain that we love their brother too. We feel the loss along with them.

I can give all of these examples of why I am drawn to this trial and yet I am not sure I know why even now. I find myself suddenly getting nervous that, at the end of this week, it will be in the jury's hands. Juan, Nurmi, Willmott, will be powerless. Juan can't go into that jury room and speak for Travis. These men and women will draw a conclusion and we will have to accept that verdict. I feel in my heart that this jury is smart and that Mr. Martinez has been the voice for the voiceless. He has given all of himself to see that Travis Alexander's murderer never sees the light of day.

I find it pretty awesome that even in death, this young man is doing what he set out to do. Change lives. He still inspires people. He gives up hope that even with a less that stellar past, it doesn't define our future. We are our own captain in life. We can rise above adversity and become stronger. Travis didn't let his struggles growing up define him. He channeled them and used them as lessons to better himself. Most importantly, he did something few people can do. Bring millions of people together. And this is 5 years after his untimely passing.

That has to account for something, right? I have a feeling his legacy will last a lot longer than the woman's who ended his life. She will become a distant memory for most of us, while Travis has given us lessons, even in death, that most of us will carry with us in some way for a very long time.

Peace be with all of you. Justice For Travis.

Remember his precious family in your prayers this week. They need it more now than ever. They have the potential to finally get some closure so that they can move on with their lives. No doubt, it will be a very different life than if Travis were still with them. But, we all know Travis would want them to live their lives to the fullest.

ENJOY every single day you wake up. Live life, live more, stop and smell the roses. It's a privilege denied to many.




-GiGi





No comments:

Post a Comment